Sunday 19 June 2011

Father's Day

Today as you are aware is Father's Day and I would like to wish my dad a happy one. He is no longer with us as he died in 1976 but is never forgotten.

My dad was of old school. He was 44 when I was born in 1966 and I was the youngest of 9 kids. (My dad had 4 from a previous marriage, my mum had 2 from a previous marriage and then there were 2 (now 3 with me) together.

I can remember him being a strict father, he believed kids should be seen and not heard and we always had to be ready for bed when he came in from work. He had many jobs but the one I most remember is him being an Ice Cream man!

I idolised my daddy and when he got ill I always remember coming home from school and sitting on the bed with him and sharing a glass of Lucazade and telling him what I had done at school that day.

I can only ever remember him telling me off once when I had sworn at my sister. I was about 7. He hit me across the back of the legs. I was mortified!!

The picture I have above is from a caravan holiday we had at Weymouth. I was about 3. That's me on his knee with my two sisters, Linda and Mandy.

Happy Father's day Dad and to all the dad's that are no longer with us.

Thanks for reading


1 comment:

  1. Lovely picture of you and your dad nice that you can remember things when you were younger lovely memories and not so good ones too, even getting a smack!! Gone but never forgettting.....:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete